megastructures part two: ICC
Monday, December 12th, 2011. 9:30am
Please register now by mailing to
sveneggers (at) buero-schwimmer (dot) de.
We need to know in advance whom is joining in.
The tour costs 15 euros each, reduced prize is 9 euros, which inclues the entrance fee for the ICC.
There is an extra fee to enter the Funkturm of 2.50.
is at 9:30 on the entry of the ICC next to the S-Bahnhof Messe Nord/ICC (ring S41, S42, S46). A guided tour will start at 10 o'clock
and will last an hour and a half. After we could go and visit the Funkturm. Unfortunately the Funkturm restaurant in 55 metres height overlooking Berlin from a original 20ties interior will be closed, but there is hopefully the chance to at least see it.
After that it's possible to have have a 15 minutes walk to the Lietzensee church of Paul Baumgarten. The Haus des Rundfunks of Hans Poelzig is opposite the ICC as well.
Megastructures part two:
Internationales Congress Centrum
The rough size is similar to the
Autobahnüberbauung Schlangenbader, we attended on the first megastructures tour.
The architects are Ralf Schüler and Ursulina Schüler-Witte, whom built the Bierpinsel Steglitz as well. Planing started in 1965 and built it was in 1973-79.
It's 320m long, 80m wide and has a capacity of 20.000 seats in more than 80 auditoriums.
a 30 minutes movie from 1979 about the construction of the building (in German).
Built in 1924-26 by Heinrich Straumer. You see the impact it had in the art of that time, like the famous painting by Oskar Nerlinger,
Funkturm from 1929,
or the photos of Rodtshenko from
and from 1928
Haus des Rundfunks
The "House of Broadcasting" by Hans Poelzig, built in 1929-31.
It was one of the first radio broadcasting buildings in Europe.
Here the first regular tv broadcasting started in 1935.
Kirche am Lietzensee
Built in 1957-59 it is an early example of a radical formal modernité after the war.
Paul Baumgarten built the extraordinary Müllverladebahnhof that now is the architectural office of Kleihues. He was one of the few modern architects that stayed, even built in Nazi-Germany. After 1945 he was teaching at the university and had an own office (where among others Ludwig Leo worked). He than built the famous Eternit-Haus in the Hansaviertel, a guest-house for Eternit and their factory, the concert hall and studio stage of the now University of Arts and the Ruhrkohlehaus.
More on the other tours
The Tour is a cooperation of Büro Schwimmer and architectureinberlin